Thursday, February 17, 2011

{Sharing Something Tasty} A Touch of Moroccan Flavor


I have to admit, I am not afraid of jumping in head first and trying new things in the kitchen.

So it is no surprise to my family to come home to dinner and find a new fare set before them.  Lucky for me, 2 out of the three individuals (aside from myself) are adventurous eaters and love trying something new.  It is always a gamble with Lil Man whether or not he will give anything he is not familiar with a try.  Tuesday's dinner called for a little something different.

Mr. Man, knowing my penchant for new recipes, purchased me a subscription to Cooking Light.  The January/February 2011 issue did not disappoint!  I decided to go a little out of my comfort zone and try a beef recipe.  I am a chicken kinda gal, but the Beef Tagine with Butternut Squash recipe (pg80) looked absolutely delicious.  And once I got started, Wow, it was quite fragrant too!

My family's verdict?

Mr. Man and Lil Diva, both said it was very tasty, even though neither are too big a fan of butternut squash.  Lil Man said it was very good.  And I absolutely loved it (I love my veggies!).

Beef Tagine with Butternut Squash

Ingredients

  • 2  teaspoons  paprika
  • 1  teaspoon  ground cinnamon
  • 3/4  teaspoon  salt
  • 1/2  teaspoon  ground ginger
  • 1/2  teaspoon  crushed red pepper
  • 1/4  teaspoon  freshly ground black pepper
  • 1  (1-pound) beef shoulder roast or petite tender roast, trimmed and cut into 1-inch cubes
  • 1  tablespoon  olive oil
  • 4  shallots, quartered
  • 4  garlic cloves, chopped
  • 1/2  cup  fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
  • 1  (14.5-ounce) can no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
  • 3  cups  (1-inch) cubed peeled butternut squash (about 1 pound)
  • 1/4  cup  chopped fresh cilantro

Preparation

1. Combine first 6 ingredients in a medium bowl. Add beef; toss well to coat.
2. Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add beef and shallots; cook 4 minutes or until browned, stirring occasionally. Add garlic; cook 1 minute, stirring frequently. Stir in broth and tomatoes; bring to a boil. Cook 5 minutes. Add squash; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes or until squash is tender. Sprinkle with cilantro.

photo & recipe courtesy of Cooking Light

1 comment:

  1. Looks yummy, hard to find a good tanjine in restos these days - making at home is a great option!

    ReplyDelete