Tuesday, November 16, 2010

{Tasty Treats} Bronx Style

 If I've said it once, I'll say it again.....no matter how long I live on the Jersey Shore, how much I love it here, or how deep we plant our roots, I will always and forever be a "New Yorker". 

I love going back "home" to visit, even if it is just for a few hours.  Yesterday I took a spur of the moment trip to spend some time with my mother.  Mom needed my help sorting a personal matter, and I immediately told her I would jump on the morning bus into the city to help her out. 

The matter took all of 30 minutes to resolve, but it left us with 6 hours of Mommy and Me time.  She took me out to lunch to Seafood City in City Island, which is a mecca of delicious seafood restaurants. We used to go there at least 4 times each and every summer growing up.  The seafood was just as good as I remembered it.


Afterward, we went to the Bronx's Little Italy.  If you've seen the movie A Bronx Tale, starring Robert Deniro, you have seen the 60's version of the area.  Mom and I always visited this neighborhood in order to get the best pastries, breads, and cheeses around.  Pizza is amazing too, but since we were already full from lunch, we decided to buy a box of delicious pastries from the ever popular Palombo Pastry Shop.  The freshly baked sweet treats were a welcome surprise to Mr. Man that evening.

 Even though the visit was short, I was able to spend some quality time with my mom and visited areas that bring back wonderful vivid memories of childhood.  It never fails to remind me why I love being a native New Yorker.

No comments:

Post a Comment