Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Starbucks....You're on Notice


I am a huge...I mean HUGE Starbucks fanatic.

I have tried other latte's and frappachinos....none of them seem to measure up to the high standards made by Starbucks.

While Dunkin Donut's Caramel latte is delish, it doesn't hold a candle to Starbucks Caramel Macchiato.  And forget about Mc D's Caramel latte....didn't stand a chance!  So it is natural that I would be a bit apprehensive about trying Mc Donald's new Caramel Frap.

But the ads for it are everywhere.  I can not go through the drive thru window at Mc Donald's without the cashier asking me "Welcome to Mc Donald's.  Would you like to try one of Mc Donald's new Mocha or Caramel Frappachino today?"  To which I always respond with a polite and blunt "No, thank you."  After all, Starbucks makes the best Caramel Frappachino ever...why mess with a good thing, right?

Magazines have conducted taste comparisons, most of which have stated Mc D's version is shockingly better. And at half the price, a better value as well.  This "perked" my interest. Should I try it?  I mean, summer is coming and I do consume many fraps during the dog days of summer.  Of course the bargain shopper in my head was screaming "Hey! You can get 2 Mc D's fraps for the price of one at Starbucks!"  Good point, duly noted.  And with the rising price of gas, Mc D's is a whole 6 miles closer than my closest Starbucks.

My resistance was wearing thin.

Last night, I caved.  After contemplating my impending purchase all day I decided to go for it.  I mean, what did I have to lose?  $2.29?  If I didn't like it I can confidently say that was the price to pay for knowledge.  I wouldn't have to wonder anymore.

I was still leery when I got up to the counter and asked the assistant manager, who I am friendly with knows exactly how to make my 5 times a week addiction to a large Sweet Tea with light ice and a lemon, "tell me the truth, is this drink as good as Starbucks?" Her answer, and the answer of 3 of her coworkers..."It's better!"  They're paid to say that.  I am sure Mc Donald's has a secret camera somewhere recording and waiting for the moment one of their staff members bashes the food they are hired to sell.  I quickly ordered my drink before I can change my mind.  "Let me know what you think" the assistant manager said when she handed me the frozen concoction.

My verdict: It was absolutely heavenly!  You can literally taste the coffee in the frap as well as the caramel, something I didn't realize up until now was not as profound in Starbucks version.  Another plus, their frap is well blended....no sucking up pieces of ice, a common annoyance of mine when I drink Starbucks Caramel Frappachino.

Starbucks, you have met your match!  Consider yourself, on notice.

No comments:

Post a Comment