Thursday, September 9, 2010

Slow Down & Trust the Process

Slow Down
Calm Down
Don't Worry
Don't Hurry
Trust the Process
- Alexandra Stoddard

It's funny how less than a dozen words can put your life into perspective. 

Last week, I had experienced a series of events that lead to one of those "want to scream and pull your hair out" moments.  Naturally, I didn't actually do this, but I can say, in my head, that is exactly what I felt like doing.  I wasn't feeling well (in fact, haven't been for a couple of weeks), I had a million things to do, and I was faced with an unexpected issue with regards with my child's safety.  I felt like I was the only person who was thinking logically and no one else was bothering to listen. I admit, I sat down in the middle of my bed Friday afternoon and just cried.  I felt like every little ounce of energy was expended,  I am ashamed to say, I spent the next couple of days wallowing in my self-despair.

But, being the optimist, that didn't last very long.  "Positive Me" pulled me up by the collar, brushed me off and said "You can stay here curled up in a little ball and continue your little "woe is me" charade, or you can get up, smooth your skirt out and get yourself back together again".  Of course, I picked the latter.  And it was at that precise point, after rebooting my computer and searching for calming words that I ran across the above quote.   It was truly an epiphany of sorts.  How these few simple words appeared before my eyes just at the precise moment I needed them.

I discovered once I let myself succumb to the true meanings of these words, things started to slowly fall back into place. I managed to come across the right person that made the necessary changes in order to insure my child's well being as she travels to and from school.  I sat down with my "to do" list and highlighted those things that were very important and convinced myself it is not the end of the world if the other less important things don't get done at this very moment. In making those minute tweaks, I realized some of the symptoms I was feeling started to dissipate. 

Sometimes when life has us running in circles we forget to slow down and relax.  We forget not to sweat the small stuff.  We forget that in a world riddled with inhumane individuals, there still are those who are compassionate and willing to lend a helping hand.  It is when we open our eyes from the roller coaster loop life has thrown us on, that we realize we have to take a deep breath, take a it easy, and evaluate the ride we just completed before getting on a new one.

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful post! I am really touched by your feelings and emotions. What a lovely quote as well and sooo true! You have a lovely blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully written. Sounds like you were dealing quite a bit, but I'm happy to hear that things are looking up. Thanks for sharing such honesty.

    ReplyDelete